Saturday, February 17, 2018

'66 Ironhead Progress

Rick Fichter: I'm trying to decide on the placement of the tank on the '66. I have to figure whether I'm going high Frisco style or drop it low; I'm leaning toward Frisco style. The tank is incorrect for a '66, but it was common in the early 70s to replace the tank with this sleek AMF era style. I really like it. Most likely I'll use my painting skills to patina the rear fender then match up the tank in that way-cool blue.

This is my brand spanking new but old stock Carlisle rear tire. These are pretty tough to come by around here, especially an old stock one like this. This is true Chopper in my eyes, if not the best handling tire. Made, basically to ride in a straight line - sounds like the Arizona desert to me - and I will sacrifice maneuverability for the great looks. I'm already in love with it. Settled; it's definitely not coming off.


Just got my hands on a new 21-inch front wheel. I’m going with a 21 front, 16 inch rear - pretty much standard Chopper issue I like this shit; I like the stance of the bike and it just feels right with that combo. Although I could try an 18 on the back, I think I’m gonna keep it this way. Stay tuned. 

Me and my buddy, Thor, welded up this rear brake caliper mount. It took a little bit of time to give it a neat, clean look.  I’m pretty happy with the way it came out. I don’t think I could’ve got it any smoother though I'' grind it down and make it cleaner. I like the way it looks on the back of the frame; you barely noticed that there’s a caliper on the back wheel, which was kind of the goal. So this is also a keeper.



No comments:

Post a Comment