Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Change Your Oil!

One of the most important things you can do with your Harley is to keep the oil changed, particularly the older bikes which rarely had an oil filter. You never really know how full it is or the viscosity; there’s a bit of a guessing game going on all the time. I’ve talked to guys who have said that they’ve never changed the oil in the bike, essentially the bike leaks oil or burns oil and as if it healed itself, the new oil replaces the bad. Everyone is so afraid to crack the nut and just replace the oil. Stupid? Lazy? Lucky? I don’t know. But when you finally do, the right oil is key. The can of Harley oil pictured is legendary (comes today of course in a plastic bottle). You can get a repro from a Harley shop, but some of these cans from way back in the day (20s and 30s) fetch thousands of dollars. I’m still on the hunt for one that I can afford. Someday I will have one, in the meantime, this vintage can from the 50s reminds me to change the oil – with the right oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment