Sunday, February 11, 2018

Filson Waxed Cotton Jacket

Rick Fichter: This is my 25-year-old Filson waxed cotton pickin’ jacket. I ride in it. I go pickin’ in it. I live in it. It’s bulletproof and only gets better with age. It used to stand up on its own and was so stiff you could barely put it on. Now, after years and years of swap meets, road trips, motorcycle rides, laying in the back of the truck for months without wearing it, it’s taken on a life of its own. These jackets get better with age - just like me. Tough, rough, ragged and soft around the edges.

One of the tools of the trade that I carry with me is my handy Streamlight flashlight. They come at a pretty penny, around 200 bucks, but it’s well worth as the best lights for digging through dark empty space, especially with serial numbers and small etchings. I carry a vintage measuring tape and a hand-carved pocket knife I got up in Portland (ME), such a cool piece of history. And like Beaver Cleaver, my pockets are always full to keep me going through a long pick, not to mention the room for gears and gadgets and parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment